Clean water is one of the most essential in human life but access to safe water in the whole world is becoming difficult. The water we get from our tap has transported through pipes picking impurities along the way. In fact, the only way to ensure you have access to clean water healthy for human consumption is to install water purifier in your house. There are various types of water Purifier and each removes specific contaminant present in your water. Today we are going to discuss 10 best UV water purifiers for home 2018.
What is UV?
UV stands for ultraviolet. It is water purification methods that kill or inactivate waterborne micro-organisms. It destroys 99.99 % of waterborne micro-organisms.
Such microorganisms include
How does UV water purification work
UV water purification method uses Special lamps which emit UV light waves/ rays which are also called frequency. The unique lamp is surrounded by clear Quartz sleeve which prevents direct contact with water and prevents short circuits.
Water passes through the special lamps that emit UV light frequency. This UV light frequency penetrates through microorganism DNA code, attacks, disrupts and rearranges microorganism DNA code causing them to become inactive and stop reproducing further.
The best frequency used to kill germs is 254nanometer (nm).
Most of the people fear this method because of exposure to ultraviolet rays which they believe cause cancer. The method is approved to be safe for human consumption because the process of exposing water to ultraviolet rays is done in an enclosed container causing no risk to the human being.
Also, it is safe since you don’t add chemicals to clean water.
Common components that are used in the ultraviolet method include:
- Sediment pre-filter- removes particulates such as sand, silt, and rusts.
- UV reactors chamber-where the quartz sleeve is stored and untreated water enters the chamber. The water is purified as it runs through the UV reactor chamber
- UV quartz sleeve- it is where the lamp is stored and ensures high transmittance for the ultra-violet and protects UV lamp from short circuits.
- UV lamp- it emits Ultraviolet
- Electronic ballast –controls electric output to the lamp and powers it to produce ultraviolet light.
What is UV water purifier?
UV water purifier uses an ultraviolet (UV) method to clean water.
The UV water purifier is a must if your water source is coming from lakes, streams, pods, and well.
Advantages of UV water purifier
- Kills 99.99% of micro-organisms
- Do not alter the taste of water
- It is a chemical-free process. No chemical is added when purifying water
- Low cost of maintenance because only sleeve and lamp are replaced annually
- Consume less energy. It uses the same energy consumed by tube lights
- Work together well with all another method of water purification
- Do not waste any water compared with RO method
Disadvantages of UV water purifier
- It only kills micro-organism but doesn’t remove heavy metals, salts, and chemicals
- If the water contains particles or is muddy UV light will not reach micro-organism because rays are blocked by particles.
- Most of Ro water purifier doesn’t come with water storage containers
- Requires electricity to operate
- Kills microorganism body in the water but their cell remains in the water.
- When UV lamp gets dimmer or blocked by impurities, there is no warning, and you can end up getting unsafe water.
- Requires working with other methods of water filtration for you to get clean water for human consumption
10 best UV water purifiers for home 2018
- You dip SteriPEN Adventurer Opti UV Water Purifier in water for only 45 seconds and removes all microorganisms
- Destroys 99.99% of micro-organisms
- It is safe you don’t need to add Chemical purify water
- Doesn’t alter PH, taste, and odor of water
- It uses rechargeable battery so you can carry it anywhere. The products come with two disposable CR123 batteries and a neoprene case with belt loop. You can buy replacement lithium battery online.
- It’s a good purifier for those who like traveling or go for the picnic
- Reusable up to 8000 liters of water
- It Kills micro-organisms
- It best water treatment for homes with a flow rate of 10 gallons per minute
- You don’t need to turn off the water so as you change the UV lamp
- It has an audible alarm for system failure
- It uses 39 watts almost the same as tube lights
- The Viqua home UV water system Kills contaminants such as micro-organisms and bacteria.
- This UV water system is more comfortable to maintain it has a visual indicator of lamp life and audible alarm for system failure.
Find out other types of VIQUA UV water purifier
- Eliminates microbiological contaminants such as water-borne viruses, bacteria, molds and pathogenic disease
- It is perfect for travelers.
- Features easy to read LCD display ensures water treatment is simple.
- It kills impurities such as bacteria, algae, viruses, microbes, and fungi
- 12 Gallon Per Minute UV Ultraviolet Sterilizer Water Filtration units
- Comes with two extra bulbs
- It uses UV lamp of 55watts
The GOSOIT UV Water Filter Pitcher Bottle is made of food grade material and BPA free. It also has transparent fuselage allows you to see disinfection process and amount of water is visible.
It is four stage filtration systems with ultraviolet bactericidal function. The filters include pre-filters, activated carbon, ion exchange resin and PET filter cotton that can effectively filter out impurities, heavy metal, rust, scale, chlorine, odor, retain beneficial minerals.
With UV lamp makes the bottle eliminate bacterium, virus, and microorganism in 15 seconds.
The UV bottle is compact size, easy to carry the sealing, opened when you press the button and leak-proof of the product is very good making it suitable for outdoor activities such as travel, outdoor sports, fitness and outdoor adventure.
The iSpring UVF11A UV Disinfection Sterilizer has unique flow sensor that turns the unit on and off automatically with water flow; saving power and lengthening the life of the UV lamp.
After you turn off the faucet, the UV lamp stays on for extra 2 minutes to pre-sterilize the remaining water in the chamber.
In the package includes:
- Stainless steel housing with Quartz sleeve
- 11W Germicidal UV lamp
- 110V Electronic ballast with Smart Flow Control Switch and Rubber O-ring
- 2 -quick-fittings
- 2 -brackets to hang the filter on the wall
- User Manual
It is perfect for killing contaminants such as bacteria, virus, and protozoan cysts making it suitable for well water, lakes and stream.
This product is complete add-on kit which can be added to most RO system as a final stage to the system.
It has a flow rate of 1.0 GPM and lamp lasts 8000 hours. The lamp needs to be replaced annually
In the package include
- 1 Reactor Chamber 304SS with 3/4″ in/outlet
- 1 Quartz Tube
- 1 Electronic Ballast
- 2 UV Tube with 4-Pin End
- 2 O-ring
- 2 Plastic Bracket
- Instruction Manual
Clean the quartz sleeve after 6-12 months and replace after 24 months. The UV lamp needs to be replaced after 12 months for the system to perform effectively.
The system is used in wide application such as residential water purification and industrial water sterilization to supply treated water for various needs such as irrigation and fish tank, cooling water for production.
It has a flow rate of 12GPM
12 GPM UV water purifier that removes bacteria and viruses present in water.
The UV lamp needs to be replaced annually, clean quartz sleeve every 6-12 months and replace after 24 months.
- Flow Rate GPM – 12
- Lamp Power (Watt) – 55
- Max. Current (Amp) – 0.5
- Inlet & Outlet Size NPT – 3/4″
- Operating Pressure (PSI) – 10-100
- Operating Temperature Range (F) – 36-104
- Electrical – 100-240V 50/60Hz
- Electrical Plug – North American
This water purification is sufficient to remove impurities such as bacteria, virus, and germs, for example, E. coli, coliform, Giardia, Salmonella especially well water, therefore, protect your family from waterborne diseases.
The system uses 12 GPM powers which are enough to sanitize whole house water including drinking and use water.
Only UV lamp and quartz sleeve that needs to be replaced annually and low electricity required. Therefore help save a lot of money from buying bottled water and saves energy bill.
It is applicable for irrigation, swimming pool, washing, drinking, chemical, and medicine.
The camel UV water purifier bottle is a reliable purification that utilizes UV technology to reduce contaminants such as bacteria, viruses, and protozoa. The pollutants are reduced to EPA standard.
With clear LCD read-outs make purification easy.
Energy efficient designs that last 10,000 cycles even with exposure to cold weather.
Impact and weather resistant cap insulate UV bulb for effective purification.
It comes with a lithium-ion battery which delivers 80 cycles on a single charge. The battery can be charged from any 100-240V USB compatible power source including wall chargers, car chargers, solar chargers, hand crank chargers, and electronics like laptops.
It also has a case for storing cap and USB.
Tips on how to choose UV water purifier
It is essential to know contaminants present in your water. For UV water purifier to work effectively, they are a certain parameter that your water must meet otherwise you need to install pre-filter. Such parameters include:
- Hardness < (less than)7 grains per gallon
- Iron < (less than) 0.3 parts per million
- Manganese <(less than) 0.05 parts per million
- Turbidity < (less than) 1 NTU
- Tannins < (less than) 0.1 parts per million
- UV Transmittance > (greater than) 75%
Note it is necessary to pre-filter your water and remove contaminants such as sediments and other particulates for the UV water purifier to work effectively. Also, the sediment and other particulates can create a shadow which prevents UV rays from reaching harmful contaminants. If you have other water filters, the UV water purifier is installed last.
UV system flow rate
The flow rate is how much amount of water can flow in the system. The UV water purifier measures rates in gallon per minute (GPM). The water may not be adequately treated, If you undersize the flow rate. The best thing is you oversize the flow rate.
1 Bathroom requires 6 gallons per minute flow rate
2 Bathrooms need 9 gallons per minute flow rate
3 Bathrooms want 12 gallons per minute flow rate
4 Bathrooms require 15 gallons per minute flow rate
5 Bathrooms need 18 gallons per minute flow rate
Amount UV energy from the lamp
For specific contaminants to be inactivated, it requires a particular dose or energy from the UV lamp. The energy is measured using millijoule per square centimeter or mJ/cm2.
Contaminants such as E. Coli, Giardia, and Cryptosporidium typically require a UV dose/ energy of 10 mJ/cm2 to become inactivated.
Most UV water purifier certified by NSF “A” is rated at 40 mJ/cm2 and are best used for commercial application.
The most accepted standard is 30 mJ/cm2
There is UV water purifier that has LED indicator informing when the filter is supposed to be replaced. Some brands come with a flow meter, touchscreen display, and shut-off valve.
Where to install UV water purifier.
UV water purifier can be fixed it two places
Under the sink- this type is installed at the pipe that supplies water to the faucet. Most of these systems supply 2 gallons of filtered water per minute and are expensive they cost approximately $150-$500.
Countertop – they are attached to an electrical outlet and attached to the faucet. Just turn on the faucet; flip the switch that redirects water to the filter. This type is most common and affordable cost approximately $150-$500.
UV water purifier cost
There are two types of the UV water purifier. The countertop water purifier which cost approximately $150 to $500.
The other type is under sink UV water purifier which cost $150 to $1000. This type the cost may vary if is meant to filter water for the whole house it expensive compared with the one providing water into one faucet.
Ultraviolet water purifier ensures your water is free from any water contaminants but the method becomes effective when used together with other methods of water purification.
We hope our guide and review of 10 best UV water purifiers for home 2018 will help choose the best brand you need.Please let us know at the comment section below.