Clean water is one of the most essential in human life but access to safe water in the whole world is becoming difficult. The water we get from our tap has transported through pipes picking impurities along the way. In fact, the only way to ensure you have access to clean water healthy for human consumption is to install the water purifier in your house. There are various types of water Purifier and each removes specific contaminant present in your water. Today we are going to discuss 10 best UV water purifiers for home 2018.
Comparison table of 10 best UV water purifiers for home 2018
|Name||image||flow rate||power||Where to buy|
|S8Q-PA VIQUA||10gpm||120 V39W||Check Amazon for the best price|
|wholesale market LLC||12GPM||55W 110V||Check Amazon for the best price|
|iSpring UVF11A UV||1.0 GPM||11W 110v||Check Amazon for the best price|
|solidmacs||12GPM||55W 120v||Check Amazon for the best price|
|HQUA-OWS-12||12GPM||55W 120v||Check Amazon for the best price|
|Ronaqua||12GPM||55W 120v||Check Amazon for the best price|
|VIQUA VH410-F20||18GPM||100-240V 60W||Check Amazon for the best price|
|vitapur||30 W||Check Amazon for the best price|
|Camelbak Unisex All Clear UV Purifier Bottle||Check Amazon for the best price|
|GOSOIT UV Water Filter Bottle||Check Amazon for the best price|
|SteriPen Adventurer Opti||Check Amazon for the best price|
|GOSOIT Alkaline Water Filter Pitcher||Check Amazon for the best price|
What others are reading
- Water Filters Ultimate Buyers Guide Ever
- Buyers guide on how to choose the best water softener
- Water purifier buyers guide
What is UV?
UV stands for ultraviolet. It is water purification methods that kill or inactivate waterborne micro-organisms. It destroys 99.99 % of waterborne micro-organisms.
Such microorganisms include
How does UV water purification work
UV water purification method uses Special lamps which emit UV light waves/ rays which are also called frequency. The unique lamp is surrounded by clear Quartz sleeve which prevents direct contact with water and prevents short circuits.
Water passes through the special lamps that emit UV light frequency. This UV light frequency penetrates through microorganism DNA code, attacks, disrupts and rearranges microorganism DNA code causing them to become inactive and stop reproducing further.
The best frequency used to kill germs is 254 nanometer (nm).
Most of the people fear this method because of exposure to ultraviolet rays which they believe cause cancer. The method is approved to be safe for human consumption because the process of exposing water to ultraviolet rays is done in an enclosed container causing no risk to the human being.
Also, it is safe since you don’t add chemicals to clean water.
Common components that are used in the ultraviolet method include:
- Sediment pre-filter – removes particulates such as sand, silt, and rusts.
- UV reactors chamber-where the quartz sleeve is stored and untreated water enters the chamber. The water is purified as it runs through the UV reactor chamber
- UV quartz sleeves it is where the lamp is stored and ensures high transmittance for the ultra-violet and protects UV lamp from short circuits.
- UV lamp -it emits Ultraviolet
- Electronic ballast –controls the electric output to the lamp and powers it to produce ultraviolet light.
What is a UV water purifier?
UV water purifier uses an ultraviolet (UV) method to clean water.
The UV water purifier is a must if your water source is coming from lakes, streams, pods, and well.
Advantages of UV water purifier
- Kills 99.99% of micro-organisms
- Do not alter the taste of water
- It is a chemical-free process. No chemical is added when purifying water
- Low cost of maintenance because only sleeve and lamp are replaced annually
- Consume less energy. It uses the same energy consumed by tube lights
- Work together well with all another method of water purification
- Do not waste any water compared with RO method
Disadvantages of UV water purifier
- It only kills micro-organism but doesn’t remove heavy metals, salts, and chemicals
- If the water contains particles or is muddy UV light will not reach micro-organism because rays are blocked by particles.
- Most of Ro water purifier doesn’t come with water storage containers
- Requires electricity to operate
- Kills microorganism body in the water but their cell remains in the water.
- When UV lamp gets dimmer or blocked by impurities, there is no warning, and you can end up getting unsafe water.
- Requires working with other methods of water filtration for you to get clean water for human consumption.
Here is the review of 10 best UV water purifiers for home 2018
Tips on how to choose UV water purifier
It is essential to know contaminants present in your water. For UV water purifier to work effectively, they are a certain parameter that your water must meet otherwise you need to install pre-filter. Such parameters include:
- Hardness < (less than)7 grains per gallon
- Iron < (less than) 0.3 parts per million
- Manganese <(less than) 0.05 parts per million
- Turbidity < (less than) 1 NTU
- Tannins < (less than) 0.1 parts per million
- UV Transmittance > (greater than) 75%
Note it is necessary to pre-filter your water and remove contaminants such as sediments and other particulates for the UV water purifier to work effectively. Also, the sediment and other particulates can create a shadow which prevents UV rays from reaching harmful contaminants. If you have other water filters, the UV water purifier is installed last.
UV system flow rate
The flow rate is how much amount of water can flow in the system. The UV water purifier measures rates in gallon per minute (GPM). The water may not be adequately treated, If you undersize the flow rate. The best thing is you oversize the flow rate.
1 Bathroom requires 6 gallons per minute flow rate
2 Bathrooms need 9 gallons per minute flow rate
3 Bathrooms want 12 gallons per minute flow rate
4 Bathrooms require 15 gallons per minute flow rate
5 Bathrooms need 18 gallons per minute flow rate
Amount UV energy from the lamp
For specific contaminants to be inactivated, it requires a particular dose or energy from the UV lamp. The energy is measured using millijoule per square centimeter or mJ/cm2.
Contaminants such as E. Coli, Giardia, and Cryptosporidium typically require a UV dose/ energy of 10 mJ/cm2 to become inactivated.
Most UV water purifier certified by NSF “A” is rated at 40 mJ/cm2 and are best used for commercial application.
The most accepted standard is 30 mJ/cm2
There is UV water purifier that has LED indicator informing when the filter is supposed to be replaced. Some brands come with a flow meter, touchscreen display, and shut-off valve.
Where to install UV water purifier.
UV water purifier can be fixed it two places
Under the sink, this type is installed at the pipe that supplies water to the faucet. Most of these systems supply 2 gallons of filtered water per minute and are expensive they cost approximately $150-$500.
Countertop – they are attached to an electrical outlet and attached to the faucet. Just turn on the faucet; flip the switch that redirects water to the filter. This type is the most common and affordable cost approximately $150-$500.
UV water purifier cost
There are two types of the UV water purifier. The countertop water purifier which cost approximately $150 to $500.
The other type is under sink UV water purifier which cost $150 to $1000. This type the cost may vary if is meant to filter water for the whole house it expensive compared with the one providing water into one faucet.
Ultraviolet water purifier ensures your water is free from any water contaminants but the method becomes effective when used together with other methods of water purification.
We hope our guide and review of 10 best UV water purifiers for home 2018 will help choose the best brand you need. Please let us know at the comment section below.
- Best Uf water purifier
- Ro spare parts
- Reverse osmosis water system
- Best whole house water filter
- best water purification tablet
- Best countertop water filter
- Best under sink water filter
- Best salt-free water softener
- Salt-based water softeners
- Best water softener salt
- Best water conditioner
- Best glass water filter pitcher