Buying alkaline water from your nearest store or online is expensive. We will teach simple natural ways on how to make water alkaline if you don’t want to spend money on buying those bottled alkaline water.
Here are simple ways to make water alkaline at home
#1 using baking soda
Using baking soda is one of the most well-known methods to make water alkaline at home.
Use 1/8 tablespoon/ 600mg of baking soda and add it in 8 ounces /0.237 liters of filtered/purified water.
Shake until baking soda dissolve
Caution baking soda is high in sodium so if you are on a special diet that requires the use of less salt then this method is not ideal for you.
#2 use of lemon juice
Use 1/8 tablespoon of lemon juice and add it in 8 ounces of filtered water
#3 use of PH drops
PH drops help raise the level of your standard water to alkaline.
Add a few drops of PH drop to each glass of filtered water
#4 alkaline water filter pitcher or jug
An alkaline water filter pitcher is a jug that comes with an alkaline filter.
The filter removes contaminants in the water then at final stages add minerals such as calcium and magnesium which makes your water alkaline.
How the jug work
- The jug comes with a filter that works in different stages to treat your water.
- You add water at the top of the jug
- The water passes through the first stages of the filter where the contaminants in the water are removed.
- After removal of the contaminants, the water then goes through another stage called remineralization where important minerals such as magnesium and others are added.
- The filtered and alkaline water goes to the bottom of the jug which is now ready for use.
#5 Multi-stage water filter system
Most water filter system is known for removing contaminants in water such as chlorine, heavy metals, fluoride, and particulate.
There are water filter systems that have multi-stage which include different layers of treating water.
Within the stages, there is the last stage known as remineralization where a small amount of minerals such as calcium and magnesium is released in water to make the water alkaline.
The system includes countertop water filter like (APEX Countertop Drinking Water Filter – Alkaline White), faucet water filter like (Invigorated water), Reverse osmosis system like (iSpring RCC7AK 6-Stage Superb Taste High Capacity Under Sink Reverse Osmosis)
#6 water ionizer
A water ionizer is a machine that works on separating negative and positive electrodes in water.
The system returns the water in two ways one way acidic and the one alkaline.
One disadvantage of using water ionizer they produce water that has a PH up to 12 which is too high for human consumption.
#7 use of lemon slices and Himalayan salt
You will use
- 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon Himalayan salt
- Put 64 oz of clean filtered water in a jug, clean the lemon and cut into pieces.
- Add the pieces of clean lemon in the water without squeezing the juice
- Then add 1 teaspoon of Himalayan salt and cover
Let the mixture sit overnight (12 hours)
Your water is ready for drinking.
#8 use of lemon and water
Put 64 oz of filtered water in the jug
Cut one clean lemon into pieces and add in the water
Do not squeeze the lemon just place the lemon in water
Cover the water and let it sit for 12 hours
Before trying to make water alkaline at home test your water to know PH level using PH test kit.
How to test the water
- Fetch water from the tap and put it in the glass
- Use PH kit which comes with strip and color chart
- Dip the strip in water and wait for a moment
- Compare the color on the strip with the colors on the chart
Water from the tap is at 7 levels if the level is below 7 it is acidic and above 7 is alkaline.
Using the above to make water alkaline at home is more affordable and long term compared with buying bottled alkaline water.
The ways also help reduce wastage of plastic bottles in our environment.
Do you know any effective ways to make water alkaline at home please share the idea with us using the comment box below?
Like this post? Pin it!