There are times that you may need to turn off the water softener mostly when you want to maintain your system or want to go for a holiday.
To turn off the water softener, you only need to do the following
The water softener has three different modes
Service mode- the water softener is working as it is required.
Bypass mode-the water softener is no longer working or softening your hard water. It shuts the water to enter the water softener but does not shut your home water supply. When your water softener is in bypass mode, your kitchen tap will run hard water.
When you are maintaining your water softener, or you want to go for a holiday, you are supposed to put your water system into bypass mode.
Also, you can decide to cut off the water to your home and unplug your water softener. Cutting off the water is a lot of work bypass mode is much easier to do because no plumbing required.
How do you put your water softener into bypass mode?
Water softener bypass mode is also called shut off valve. To put your system into bypass mode trace the hose at the back of your system.
Video on how to trace the hose at the back of your water softener
You will find three valves (service, regeneration, and bypass mode) known as bypass setting. The valves are marked with arrows in which way to turn. Turn all the three valves into direction marked bypass mode and you are done.
Bypass mode valve is turned on different ways/styles depending on your system or the year it was made. Such styles include:
- Turn style
- Lever style
- Crank style
- Push style
The video below will help understand different styles
How do you turn off water softener when you want to go on vacation or maintain your system. Share with us in the comment section below.
- Buyers guide water softener
- Salt-free water softener
- Water softener salt
- Best ion exchange water softener
- Water softener parts
- Water hardness test kit
- Water conditioner
- Water softener resin
- How to test water hardness at home
- Types of water softener
- Water softener installation
- How a water softener works
- How much is a water softener
- Type of water softener resin
- How to clean water softener resin
- Water softener resin cleaner
- The benefit of a water softener
- How to program a water softener
- Water softener resin replacement
- Effects of hard water
- Portable water softener
- Signs your house need a water softener
- Best water softener for well water
- Genesis water softener
- GE water softener
- Fleck Water softener
- Pelican water softener reviews
- Whirlpool water softener reviews
- Morton water softener reviews
- Water boss softeners reviews
- Nuvo water softener reviews
- Kinetico water softener reviews
- Kenmore water softener